As a professional organizer specializing in garages in the Phoenix area, I have extensive experience with various storage solutions. Whether you’re in need of storage for tools, sports equipment, or boxes, the following ten storage solutions are designed to meet your garage storage needs. However, before making any purchases, it’s essential to plan the desired layout of your garage and determine the location of different item groups. This will help guide your storage solution choices and ensure a seamless fit within your newly organized garage space.
- Utilize Wall-Mounted Shelving Units: Wall-mounted shelving units provide additional storage by utilizing vertical wall space. Look for sturdy and adjustable shelves that can accommodate tools, boxes, and sports equipment of different sizes. Similar to kitchen and bathroom cabinets, these units are attached to the wall with screws. If you’re looking for a high end cabinet configuration, check out companies like Classy Closets that offer a wide range of cabinet choices.
- Maximize Space with Overhead Storage Racks: Ideal for garages with an abundance of items, overhead storage racks maximize vertical space, even when a car is parked. They are a relatively new addition to the garage storage market and they are awesome for storing things you only use occasionally, like Christmas decorations. Ensure that the mounting screws are securely anchored into ceiling studs to prevent any damage to your vehicle.
- Organize Tools with Pegboards: Pegboards offer a practical solution for organizing tools while keeping them visible. These boards feature a grid of holes where you can insert hooks, pegs, and attachments to hang and arrange tools, gardening equipment, and small items. Spring for steel or aluminum pegboards, as particle board versions can deteriorate over time.
- Stock up on Stackable Storage Bins: For organizing smaller items like nuts, bolts, and screws, stackable plastic storage bins are an excellent choice. Clear bins are suitable for lightweight items, while the HDX line of black bins with yellow lids from Home Depot provides durability for larger storage needs. They even have raised edges to keep bins stacked even if they’re bumped into.
- Keep Hand Tools Accessible with Magnetic Tool Holders: Mount magnetic tool holders on the walls to keep frequently used hand tools easily accessible. They are especially useful for organizing metal tools like wrenches, screwdrivers, and pliers. Larger tool magnets can be attached to pegboards for mounting common metal tools.
- Hang Heavy-Duty Hooks and Hangers: Opt for heavy-duty hooks that can securely support the weight of your items. Cheap screw-in hooks will get pried out of drywall and concrete if they’re tugged on hard enough. Rubbermaid and Ryobi offer systems with different types of hooks to hang anything from rakes and brooms to large bicycles. The rail systems these hooks mount to can be drilled into the wall for sturdy mounting.
- Invest in Standalone Storage Cabinets: Consider investing in cabinets and storage systems specifically designed for garages if you have the budget and space. These cabinets provide closed storage, protecting your belongings from dust while offering a clean and organized appearance. They will protect everything inside in case of ceiling leaks or minor flooding.
- Add a Workbench: A workbench is a valuable addition to any garage, particularly for those who spend time working on projects. Modern workbenches offer features like built-in electrical outlets, USB ports for charging tools and devices, overhead LED lights, stainless steel easy-glide doors, and lockable casters for mobility. The Seville Classics ULTRAHD workbench is highly recommended, offering all of these features at an affordable price.
- Utilize Tool Chests: Tool chests are essential for efficient storage in most garages. With drawers of various depths and sometimes a sliding or swinging door at the bottom for larger tools, they optimize space usage. Consider checking platforms like OfferUp or Facebook Marketplace for used tool chests in excellent condition if you’re looking to save on your garage transformation.
- Incorporate Wall-Mounted Cabinets: Similar to kitchen or bathroom cabinets, wall-mounted cabinets can be a great addition to your garage. These smaller square cabinets work well for storing automotive fluids and cleaning supplies. They also are asy to mount high above other racks and cabinets.
Remember that the best garage organization products will depend on your specific needs, available space, and budget. Assess your garage’s requirements and plan the organization system accordingly. I recommend investing in reputable brands such as Kobalt, Seville Classics, or Husky since garages endure harsh weather conditions that other parts of your home may not.
Kevin Connors is a professional organizer and owner of Inspired Organizers in Phoenix, AZ and the Director of Membership for the NAPO Arizona Chapter. He’s visited over 50 countries on 4 continents and enjoys golfing in his spare time.